Error LoggingExceptionHandler

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Hello

I've recently installed MOSS Faceted Seach 3.0 on my MOSS 2007 farm. I've followed all instructions from the installation guide without problem

However, when I try to add the "Search Faceted" webpart on my page, I receive an error : "Unable to add the selected webpart. Search Faceted : the type LoggingExceptionHandler does not contain the ConfigurationElementTypeAttribute. <path> web.config line xx"

I checked the WEB.CONFIG file, seems no syntax problem and the content in line xx is a copy/paste of what was described in the documentation :

<exceptionHandlers>
              <add logCategory="General" eventId="100" severity="Error" title="Enterprise Library Exception Handling" formatterType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.TextExceptionFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a646907c4a695009" priority="0" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.LoggingExceptionHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a646907c4a695009" name="Logging Handler" />
              <add logCategory="Information" eventId="100" severity="Error" title="Faceted Search Exception Handling" formatterType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.TextExceptionFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" priority="0" useDefaultLogger="false" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.LoggingExceptionHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="Logging Handler" />
             </exceptionHandlers>

Note that when I commented it out in the web.config file, my error disappears and I can load the webpart

What's wrong ? Any idea ?

Christophe Sarteel

May 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Hi Christophe,

I had the same issue. What I found was that there is no need to follow the first part of the V2.5 install instructions i.e. don't register the 3.1 enterprise library objects, don't edit the web.config, and probably don't create the cache DB. I retracted and deleted the solution, restored my web.config, deleted dlls from GAC, and deleted cache DB. Then just ran the setup from V3.0 and everything went as expected.

I hope this helps

Grant

May 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Hi Grant

Many thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, when I remove all lines from WEB.CONFIG + desinstall the solution + Reinstall, I have another error message when I try to add the "Faceted Search" to my page :

Unable to add selected web parts

Seach Faceted : The current build operation (build key Build Key[Microsoft.Practises.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyImp, Faceted Search Policy]) failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object (Strategy type ConfiguredObjectsStrategy, index 2)

Any idea ??

May 11, 2010 at 3:05 AM

Hi again Christophe,

Please check the GAC (c:\windows\assembly) and check that you only have version 4 of the enterprise library, all the Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.xxxxx objects should be 4.1.0.0 or 4.0.0.0. If you see version 3 objects then these might be causing the issues....they can be deleted if there are no other dependencies. If you don't see the enterprise library objects then the install failed, either it's a permissions thing or you are not installing V3 of faceted search (if you open solution file with winzip you should see all the ent lib objects).

Cheers

Grant

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Unfortunately this hasn't worked for me.

Only have the 4.0..... dll's in the GAC, removed the lines from web.config that were inserted according to the install guide and trying to add the Facet Search webpart I now get the following error -

Unable to add selected web part(s)

Search Facets: Could not load file of assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=3.1.00, Culture-neutral, PublicKeyToken=a646907c4a695009 or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Hi Eldorado,

It's failing to find the version 3.1 of Enterprise Library which is required for Faceted Search 2.5. My previous advice about "no need to follow the first part of the V2.5 install instructions i.e. don't register the 3.1 enterprise library objects" was if you were implementing Facted Serach 3.0 (which I think has been pulled). If implementing Facted Search 2.5 then you do need to follow the install instructions and register the 3.1 entlib objects.

I hope this helps

Grant

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.  I was actually redirected to this thread from another post I put here.  Copied the 3.1 dlls to the GAC but now back to my original error message.

Search Factes: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicy' threw an exception

Seem to be going round in a bit of a loop here.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:16 PM

It's possible that you are missing some of the web.config changes. If you are running multiple SharePoint web applications then web.config will need to be modified for each that you want to use faceted search on. Ensure that you have the exceptionPolicies defined and that mscorlib is correctly referenced. Cheers