This project is read-only.

SearchFacets.webpart won't work

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I've run into a head scratcher and am looking for some guidance.  I've installed the wsp dozens of times for different firms to go along with a protocol handler we've built to help index documents for legal companies.  I'm using the 2.5 FS version. 

Upon installing at this particular site, I've discovered that the web part for SearchFacets will not preview.  The error I get in its place is

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.WebControls.SearchFacets.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPart.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I've found many people have reported a similar error, but I have no accompanying errors in the event viewer, or Sharepoint logs that give me any insight into a possible fix.

Among the things that I've tried is to deactivate the feature, retract the solution (3 times), set the trust level of the web.config to FULL, disable logging of the web part, and a few other ideas that other posters have offered.  None of these are solving the problem for me.  Can anyone give me some ideas on how to pull a better error message out of Sharepoint to help?

Thanks