This project is read-only.

Search BreadCrumb showing red exclamation mark -Urgent Please....

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Hi,

I am using Faceted Search 3.0. I have a custom results.aspx page which i created to display the search results. I renamed the existing results.aspx in the search site and i copied this file over there via a feature. Everything was working fine till recently when i started using Scopes. I have created Search Scopes programmatically at Site Collection level. I have 2 sites A and B. Not all users have access to both. So, depending on the user logged in, i have a code behind for my results.aspx page to see the scopes and display only those that are applicable.

Now, the interesting thing is on my local image, when ever i do a search i see the Red Exclamation mark on the Search BreadCrumbs webpart. The facetes do display properly though. I removed the DefaultScope property of the Faceted Search WebPart. I tried all those things that i could find here at this site. Some users did say they resolved the issue but didn't post the solution.

Like all the others, i do see the Faceted Search Logging errors in the Event Viewer and also the discovered and cached scopes error:

One thing that i do not understand is i have created only 2 custom scopes. I removed the People scope from the Search dropdown and Advanced Search Dropdown. So, there should be only 3 scopes. But the error says 12 scopes. How is it calculating the scopes? How are they cached and where can i find them? I am unable to figure out what the ID's are for each of these scopes.

But the thing which is most interesting is the same Faceted Search 3.0 web part with the same results.aspx and the same search scopes defined at the site collection on a TEST SERVER/Environment works perfectly fine without any red exclamation mark. So, is this error something related to the SharePoint environment? 

Any help/solutions in this direction are greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

Timestamp: 6/22/2010 8:04:00 PM
Message: Discovered and cached 12 search scopes: People,All Sites,Clinical,QRA,Clinical,QRA,Clinical,QRA,Clinical,QRA
Category: Information
Priority: -1
EventId: 1
Severity: Information
Title:
Machine: xxxxxxxxxx
Application Domain: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Process Id: 1784
Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Win32 Thread Id: 3724
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

Timestamp: 6/22/2010 8:04:00 PM
Message: HandlingInstanceID: b9a45248-9b0b-4a7a-922d-8200d6b7c573
An exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred and was caught.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/22/2010 15:04:00
Type : System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Message : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source : Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch
Help link :
Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
TargetSite : System.Web.UI.Control ScopeControl(System.String, System.String, System.String, Int16)
Stack Trace :    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.WebControls.TemplateUtility.ScopeControl(String guid, String value, String typeId, Int16 operatorId)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.WebControls.TemplateUtility.FacetControl(String guid, String facetName, String value, String typeId, Int16 operatorId)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.WebControls.CrumbFacetLightTemplate.panel_DataBinding(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind()
   at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren()
   at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind()
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.WebControls.SearchBreadCrumbs.CrumbTable_ItemDataBound(Object sender, DataListItemEventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.OnItemDataBound(DataListItemEventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.WebControls.SearchBreadCrumbs.BreadCrumbsTableContainer()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.WebControls.SearchBreadCrumbs.CreateChildControls()

Additional Info:

MachineName : CARDINALWIN2003
TimeStamp : 6/22/2010 8:04:00 PM
FullName : Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
AppDomainName : xxxxxxxxx
ThreadIdentity : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
WindowsIdentity : xxxxxxxxxxx

Category: Information
Priority: 0
EventId: 100
Severity: Error
Title:Faceted Search Exception Handling
Machine: xxx
Application Domain: xxxxxx
Process Id: 1784
Process Name: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Win32 Thread Id: 3724
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:09 PM

There is a bug in 3.0 related to the scopes. If the scope was created and then deleted, the new scope's ID is still incremented (MOSS by design). Say with 3 scopes you can still have IDs 0, 1, 11. Faceted Search will throw an error in this case.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM

HI Leonidly,

Thanks for the reply. But why does the error say Discovered and Cached 12 search scopes? It is quiet possible that i have created and deleted the search scopes couple of times on my local image for testing which is not the case on TEST Server. Is this the reason why the exclamation mark doesn't show up on TEST Server?

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM
Is this error fixed in any of the recent releases? Thanks
Jun 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Hi, Did anyone ever fix this issue either by changing the code or properties or anything to fix the scopes and FS 3.0 problem? Please i need a reply from anyone who was able to resolve this issue. Thanks

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

We did it for one of our customers.

Dmitriy

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I will be really thankful if you can tell me how to fix this error? I have FS 3.0 which is already in production with 1st version of the application. We are now releasing the version 2.0 where we are using scopes.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:03 AM

After spending two days I finally managed to fix this (an ugly fix however)

go to your share services scopes and delete all the scopes that you have recently created. This error will go away. Then recreate your search scopes with different names (if they match the old ones you would get the same error back)

Hope it would make someone's life easy.

Hassan