This project is read-only.

Facet Search with Custom Metatdata

May 20, 2008 at 5:15 AM
We are currently implementing a Sharepoint solution and have been looking at using Facet Search to help define the result sets returned.

We have a custom column in the document library called "Instrument Type" which is mapped to a managed property called "InstrumentType" so that it is available in search.

We would like to know if it is possible to have Facet Search return results like

Instrument Type
    type1   (10)
    type2   (5)
    type3   (3)
    type4   (0)
    ...         ...

Where type1, type2 are the possible values of the metadata item.

The InstrumentType column has 10 possible values and the results in the Facet web part need to display all 10 possible values and there counts in a particular order.

May 21, 2008 at 2:34 PM
Yes, you should be able to do that

grumpydba wrote:
We are currently implementing a Sharepoint solution and have been looking at using Facet Search to help define the result sets returned.

We have a custom column in the document library called "Instrument Type" which is mapped to a managed property called "InstrumentType" so that it is available in search.

We would like to know if it is possible to have Facet Search return results like

Instrument Type
    type1   (10)
    type2   (5)
    type3   (3)
    type4   (0)
    ...         ...

Where type1, type2 are the possible values of the metadata item.

The InstrumentType column has 10 possible values and the results in the Facet web part need to display all 10 possible values and there counts in a particular order.

May 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Thanks for that.  My issues turned out to be missing metadata in some pages due to the product set being used.

Is it possible to sort by output to a particular order other than name, hits or none.

I would like to be able to end up without put like

Instrument type       (metadata colum)
             General instruction
             Policy
             Procedures
             Annex
             Mou

The order is specific to the values of the metadata contents and is not alphabetic so order by name is no good.

I have set up the XML like

<column>InstrumentType ....
     <match="General Instruction" ....
     <match="Policy" ...
     <match="Procedures ...

However the items do not appear to come out in that order.  IS it possible to add a SORT option to the match parameter something like

<match="General Instruction"  sortorder=1 ... DisplayName="General Instruction"/>
    <match="Policy" sortorder=2 ...   DisplayName="Policy Manual"/>
    <match="Procedures" sortorder=3 DisplayName="Procedures Manual"/>

and then sort the output by the sortorder sequence?
May 22, 2008 at 3:56 PM
only if you use  smth like
1. General instruction
2. Policy
Feel free to propose your idea as a feature and will see how many votes it gets.

grumpydba wrote:
Thanks for that.  My issues turned out to be missing metadata in some pages due to the product set being used.

Is it possible to sort by output to a particular order other than name, hits or none.

I would like to be able to end up without put like

Instrument type       (metadata colum)
             General instruction
             Policy
             Procedures
             Annex
             Mou

The order is specific to the values of the metadata contents and is not alphabetic so order by name is no good.

I have set up the XML like

<column>InstrumentType ....
     <match="General Instruction" ....
     <match="Policy" ...
     <match="Procedures ...

However the items do not appear to come out in that order.  IS it possible to add a SORT option to the match parameter something like

<match="General Instruction"  sortorder=1 ... DisplayName="General Instruction"/>
    <match="Policy" sortorder=2 ...   DisplayName="Policy Manual"/>
    <match="Procedures" sortorder=3 DisplayName="Procedures Manual"/>

and then sort the output by the sortorder sequence?

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM
Hi,

Even I hav a similar requirement. I would like to know how is our Custom Managed Property is being added in the facets. How is the mappings done.

I have a created a managed property called "KBNetManagedPpty" and its having a mapping called "ows_ParantCategoryID(Text)" which is infact a Custom List Field. In the Faceted WebPart XSL I have added the following to bring my custom Manged Property in search result.

<Column Name="KBNetManagedPpty" OrderBy="Hits" TotalResults="5" DisplayName="KB Net Custom Property" /> 

But this doesnt work for me. I would like to know what <Mapping> and 'match' should be provided.

Can any one help me.?
Jan 13, 2009 at 5:30 PM
Hi
I hav a similar requirement. I would like to know how is our Custom Managed Property is being added in the facets. How is the mappings done.

I have a created a managed property called "KBNetManagedPpty" and its having a mapping called "ows_ParantCategoryID(Text)" which is infact a Custom List Field. In the Faceted WebPart XSL I have added the following to bring my custom Manged Property in search result.

<Column Name="KBNetManagedPpty" OrderBy="Hits" TotalResults="5" DisplayName="KB Net Custom Property" />

But this doesnt work for me. I would like to know what <Mapping> and 'match' should be provided.

Can any one help me.?

Roby