Version 2.5 SearchFacets.webpart will not preview or add to search page

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM
I tested and got version 2.5 working on one computer.
When installing it on a second computer I get an error both when trying to add the SearchFacets.webpart to a page. The error I get is "Unable to add selected webpart(s). Search Facets: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." The SearchBreadCrumbs.webpart works fine.

In the webparts gallery when attempting to preview the SearchFacets.webpart I get an error: "An error occured when previewing the Web Part.
Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services. "

Would you be able to suggest anything? I am not sure where to look for error logging which might give more of an idea of where the problem is. Perhaps with the caching server?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2008 at 3:12 PM

It's always good to delete WPs from WP gallery, deactivate and reactivate the feature and try again.

In any case error description from the event log is useful.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM

In the system event viewer I get no errors. 

Which log would I look in to determine what the error would be?

I have tried numerous times to delete the WP, deactive the feature and even remove and redeploy the solution.  Each time I get the same error on preview.  I think that looking at the proper logs would be best but which logs?

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:00 AM
Turn of friendly errors in the web.config file....you will get more descriptive errors and then can figure out your issues
Sep 3, 2008 at 2:15 PM
I get this problem as well.

When I preview the SearchFacets.webpart. I deleted the webparts from the gallary and reactivated it. This did not solve anything.

Here is what is thrown up when I preview the webpart:

An error occured when previewing the Web Part.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WebPartPreview.CreateChildControls()
   at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
   at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Any solution?
Cheers,
Henk Visser

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2008 at 11:30 PM
check if the error disappears when you set trust to FULL in web.config
Sep 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM

I have the same problem and the same 'detailed' error message. setting trust to Full in web.config doesn't help, problem remains the same. I don't see anything in the MOSS log that seems related either.

any suggestions?

thanks,
jeroen

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM

i'm sorry, i had forgotten a step in the setup, i didn't run the GAC_entlib.bat file. now everything seems to work, without Full trust.

jeroen

Developer
Sep 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM
Jeroen,

Many thanks for posting a comment to say this problem is resolved, that's always very helpful when tracking on-going issues.

Thanks again,

Shaun O'Callaghan