This project is read-only.

Do I need MOSS Enterprise and Search Server?

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM
This may be a stupid question so I apologise in advance!!

Do I need search server and MOSS enterprise to make use of the faceted search project, or is it that it can work on either? I'm currently working on our companys MOSS enterprise development and this search project looks excellent.

Cheers

Matt
Sep 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM
Hey Matt,

Thanks for your email.

There is a requirement for MOSS, it won't work with just WSS, because there are dependancies on core MOSS web parts (Search).  My own personal take on this is that you won't require MOSS Enterprise (or rather an Enteprise CAL) unless you want to crawl BDC data etc.  Faceted Search will work perfectly well with a Standard or Enterprise CAL, again the only difference is the type of information you want to crawl and index with Faceted Search.

Please let us know how you progress with Faceted Search and post any thoughts/ideas to the board, they are always very gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Shaun O'Callaghan
Feb 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM
How about WSS with Search Search 2008 Express?
Aug 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM

@ Dirq,

it works. I have installed MOSS Faceted Search along with WSS 3.0 and Search Server 2008 Express and so far it's working.

I have been trying it for just 2 days, and although I've found one or two quirks, in general terms is a great addition to the search experience, and also an almost zero-cost alternative for enterprise searching in WSS 3.0.

@Matt,

Shaun is right, it won't work with just WSS alone (because of the dependencies on search MOSS web parts), but if you use WSS together with Search Server 2008 Express, you will also get the necessary MOSS search web parts.

Regards,

Carlos

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:52 PM

WSS 3.0 SP2 + Search Server Express + Faceted Search is an extremely powerful combination to leverage enterprise search with zero 'additional' cost to the business.  I have used this solution myself in the past, it works very well indeed.

Thanks,

Shaun O'Callaghan

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM

What quirks have you found using the Wss 3.0/Search Server Express environment (vs. MOSS)? Also, any tips/chagnes to setup for use in WSS vs. MOSS? Thanks!