Error deactivating feature

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Hello,

I have installed version 2.0 succesfully.
When I try to upgrade to version 2.5 the upgrade process work OK and the solution is sucessfully deployed.

The feature is already activated, but when i go to the webpart gallery I see no new webparts.
I follow the config manual that says to delete the old webparts and then deactivate the feature.
When I do this the following error comes up: 

[quote: sharepoint output] 

Value does not fall within the expected range.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.RemoveWebParts(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.FeatureDeactivating(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Deactivate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Remove(Guid featureId, Boolean force)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Remove(Guid featureId)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.DeactivateFeaturePage.LnkbtnDeactivateFeature_Click(Object objSender, EventArgs evtargs)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

[/quote sharepoint output]

Which means I can't deactivate the solution.
When I retract and delete the solution and then do a clean install, everything seems OK but the webparts are also not installed.
I did a succesfull upgrade on our testserver, the only difference that I can see with the production is that the sites here are in dutch language.

I did a iisreset between the steps.

Please help.
Regards,

Developer
Oct 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Hi,

Backup your XML config file for Faceted Search

Please remove your 2.0 solution and ensure you take the steps below where appropriate:

• Deactivate your feature
  • Remove the feature folder from the file system
  • Remove all .webparts from your site collection web part gallery
  • Manually remove any GAC'd assemblies that remain for Faceted Search
  • Remove details from <SafeControls> for your FacetedSearch assemblies if they dont' get manually remove
  • Remove solution
  • Restart IIS

You may need to do none/some/all of the above, but ensure that no traces of Faceted Search remain.  Then install 2.5 to ensure you have a clean system, in terms of previous Faceted Search installations.

Please post if this doesn't resolve your problem

Kind Regards,

Shaun O'Callaghan

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your reply.

Your steps did not resolve the problem, when I retract the solution everything is removed.
So manually checking showed nothing.

I also uninstalled the enterprise library and repeated al the installation steps allover.
I also tried to install the old version again 2.0 strange enough this shows the exact same problem!

This means that right now I don't have any faceted search.
Deactivating a other features works fine, which means that is is not an problem concernig sharepoint.

[quote: sharepoint log]

10/23/2008 15:13:10.63  w3wp.exe (0x16DC)                        0x1494 Office Server                  Office Server General          81vt High     Faceted Search Receiver Exception: Value does not fall within the expected range. :::    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.GetListByName(String strListName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.get_Item(String strListName)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.RemoveWebParts(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties) 

10/23/2008 15:13:10.63  w3wp.exe (0x16DC)                        0x1494 Windows SharePoint Services    Feature Infrastructure         88jm High     Feature receiver assembly 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.Receiver, Version=2.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a646907c4a695009', class 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver', method 'FeatureDeactivating' for feature '4ad6146d-6ada-4931-ab81-0e179de7008e' threw an exception: System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.RemoveWebParts(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.FeatureDeactivating(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce) 

10/23/2008 15:13:10.63  w3wp.exe (0x16DC)                        0x1494 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        87p4 High     Feature Deactivation: callout or unprovisioning elements threw an exception.  Feature 'FacetedSearch' (ID: '4ad6146d-6ada-4931-ab81-0e179de7008e').  Exception: System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.RemoveWebParts(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.FeatureDeactivating(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Deactivate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, Boolean fForce) 

10/23/2008 15:13:10.63  w3wp.exe (0x16DC)                        0x1494 Windows SharePoint Services    Feature Infrastructure         8ncb High     Feature Deactivation: Failed to deactivate the Feature 'FacetedSearch' (id: '4ad6146d-6ada-4931-ab81-0e179de7008e'), exception thrown: System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.RemoveWebParts(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ExtendedSearch.FeatureReceiver.FeatureDeactivating(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Deactivate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Remove(Guid featureId, Boolean force) 

[/quote: sharepoint log]

Above is the logging which occurs when the feature is being deactivated.

Hope you can help.

Regards,
Sjaak
Oct 24, 2008 at 8:11 AM
Hi Shaun,

Here is how I resolved the problem.

I ran into some tools on the internet from Stefan Gossner, WssAnalyzeFeatures and WssRemoveFeatureFromSite
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WssAnalyzeFeatures
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WssRemoveFeatureFrom

The analyse tool identified the feature id which had a problem.
Since I already removed the feature I could not remove the feature with the deactivate command from stsadm (I already knew that)
Then I used the remove tool, this did the job.

After that I reinstalled the feature and everything worked fine.

Thanks for your help

Regards,
Sjaak