Performance Issues

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM
Hi

I currently installed Faceted Search in our procution enviroment, but after I add the Facted Search WebPart to the search result page, the search becomes very slow. Normally, a search takes about 0.1 seconds (we have 130.000 documents in our index), but after the webpart is added it takes about 15 seconds for each search.

Is this normal behaviour and what can I do about it?

Best Regards
Allan Pedersen
Denmark
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM
No, it's not normal. Please describe your environment, FS WP settings, and which thread was taking that long.
Also, if you try 3.0 alpha - it has builtin timer written to event log. There you'll see what process exactly takes what time.
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM
The environment is a single server farm (sql and sharepoint on a single server) with 4 cores and 4GB of RAM. The specific site collection holds about 70 GB of data. FS WP settings is just the default ones. Have tried to configure it differently, but the slow performance occurs event with the default ones. How can I tell which threads is taking that long??

Haven't tried the 3.0 alpha version, but I will give a try next week (having a few days off now).

Any other ideas on how to debug this issue??

Best Regards
Allan
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM
I am afraid this issue is specific to your farm and should be looked at there. With understanding of the cost impact I'd strongly suggest to get MCS Denmark engaged. Ping me offline and I'll connect you to the right Microsoft folks there. Otherwise you can engage one of our partners who is experienced with MOSS Faceted Search. There are few.
Feb 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Hi,
i encounter a similar problem.
After installing the solution and adding the Faceted Search webparts to the SearchCenter successfully, the second and all further (javascript) postbacks in IE 6 and IE7 last more then 20 seconds. The initial page rendering and postback however works fast.
In Firefox 3, the problem cannot be reproduced.

I already tried deactivating and uninstalling Faceted Search, but the problem within Search Center remains - even after the whole site has been deleted and recreated from scratch.
When using a search center in another site collection (where Faceted Search has not been installed and retracted) however, no such problems occurs.

By using Network Monitor and Microsoft's Script Debugger, I tried to isolate the problem - it seems that the postback of the new searchstring to the server via Javascript takes very very long to complete - more than 15-20 seconds.

Best regards,
Hannes
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM
Does this delay happen in the client browser or on the server?
Feb 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM
The delay happens within the client browser (I've tried it with IE 6 and IE7) - it's the time that the form-submit javascript function takes until the page is actually sent to the server. I see no network traffic at all during this time, at least no HTTP traffic.
Once the request has been sent to the server, processing working normally again.
As I've described earlier the strange behavior only occurs when the query string is changed within the results.aspx page, and the page tries to reload.

Best regards,
Hannes
Feb 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM
After debugging both the untouched site collection and the one that had faceted search installed, I found out that only the problematic site is wainting on two __pendingCallbacks xmlRequests that take a very long time to execute, after the GoSearch function has been called.
Just to be sure, I've implemented a fix for some known issues with the WebForm_CallbackComplete function (WebForm_CallbackComplete_SyncFixed), eg from http://www.windows-tech.info/13/df38907ce29fd7e1.php
However, the problem remains within IE.

Best regards,
Hannes
Feb 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM
I finally managed to solve the problem by exporting the working SearchCenter site and importing it over the damaged one. A simple recreation of the site based on MS default template did not work. Because of this, I assume the real cause of the problem has nothing to do with Faceted search webparts, but with the Office Server Infrastructure upgrade replacing some SearchCenter template files?!

Best regards,
Hannes