Search for multiple words or phrase returns zero results in web part

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM
I logged this as an issue, but I will put here as well in case this is more actively reviewed.  I have my site set up using the faceted search web part.  It's really an awesome tool and my users are loving what they are seeing so far.  The problem is that when they search for anything other than a single word, the faceted search web part is empty.  There are plenty of results in the core search results web part, so the search itself is working.  What could be the issue?  The faceted search web part is pure genius, so I cannot believe it would have such a limitation of only allowing single word searches.  Could it be something in my configuration?
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM
Thanks for kudos. The Faceted Search (latest 2.5 release and 3.0) works with multiple words based on ANY KEYWORD pattern unless sentence quoted. Please provide more details and url you have to look at the issue.
Mar 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Edited Mar 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Here's the design:

1 site collection
2 content lists, each with a few single text columns and 9 lookup columns that allow multivalues.  I have named the lookup fields the same for both lists.
The 9 lookup columns are driven by 9 individual lists that act as keyword lists
The 2 content lists are the only ones open to search results
There is no security on the items or lists that would impact the search
Each of the 2 content lists have about a thousand items in them, with any of the lookup columns populated (none are required)
I have a search scope that points to the site itself
I have 9 managed properties that point to the 9 lookup columns, as I have those 9 as categories in my faceted search web part
I have the search box, core search result and faceted search web part on a single page (faceted search 2.5 version)
I have ran several full crawls.

The issues I am seeing are this:
-some single word searches produce zero facets, even though they may produce a hundred or more results in core search results web part
-if you open up an item that appeared in the search, it does have one or more of the lookup columns populated, which correspond to the managed properties, which should map to the faceted search web part
-most multi-word searches produce zero facets, even though results are available
-in cases where the facets to appear, if you click on one of the items that has a number in parentheses, it produces no search results.  Not sure why the numbers are there when no items are associated.

We have looked in the event logs and ULS logs and don't see any errors being thrown.  We have not looked at the database level yet.

Please advise what could be the issue.  Due to the project timeline, I only have a few more days before I will have to take the web part out of this project and try to emulate some kind of advanced search custom development, which could take a very long time.

Thank you
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 12:37 AM
I can't replicate your issue. This must be troubleshooted with your setup on your farm as the problem might lie there.
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM
I combed thru event logs, ULS logs and SQL Server logs but saw nothing explicitly related to the site or web part. 

We upgraded to the latest stable build and it appears to have resolved the issues.  After some QA I noticed that there are still some nominal differences in facet counts versus actual results, but they are relatively small.  I see that it is a known issue and I'm sure it will be addressed as soon as you guys are able.  Thanks for the assistance.