Max-Item limit of 300?

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM
When i do a search ill get around 1200 items returnd, however my Facets say it are 300 items, no matter what i do. is it a known issue? cause in code i couldnt find anything bout it, (i know the search returns an estimate, but still 300 or 1200 is a major difference :))

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM
There are situations when this issue occurs. It's taken care in 3.0 alpha
Mar 17, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Would you  mind to share some more about the details? Is it a code issue, or somesort of config issue, since we have it on 2 completely different envs.

(anyhow we will try the 3.0 alpa, and are ofc looking forward for the final ;-)).

Thanks for the fast reply
Mar 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Have you tried increasing the  numbers in  "Select Columns for Facets" under "Data Settings"? 300 is the default specified in there, I was getting the same issue, and once I have changed it to 3000 it's working fine.
Mar 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM
hmm setting it as 500 gives me 300 results according to my faccets, setting it to 3000 giving me 670 results (and yea thats correct). So i dont get my head arround it, but setting it to 3000 works for me, thanks :-), ill write a lill blog about it giving you the deserved credit ;-)

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Help...

Hmm! Setting the "Select columns for facets" at 500 isn't good enough, but the higher values (so far we've tried 1000, 3000, and 5000) makes the Progress Bars (Knight Rider style) stay on!... even after the results are displayed.  The hover/tooltip of the Progress Bars say the standard, "Processed 300 results" while the (i) info. icon says, "total hits 305" etc.

This behaviour does need to be clarified.  Thanks for anything you can do...  We are running this in Production.

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM

That's unexpected. Send me details, snapshots and Event logs to xsearch@microsoft.com

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I wish I could... They're on a secure system, so I'll try to answer here as best as possible.

We still see the Progress Bars randomly (?) appearing. We have 5 separate FacetedSearch WebParts on the Search Results page... Currently, we've set each of them to 5000 under: Data Settings >> "Select Columns for Facets". One of the webparts (3rd one down) initially shows a progress bar, but then it completes and shows "Processed 4790 results" with no progress bar... but the other 4 have the progress bars staying on indefinitely! The tooltips over those bars read, "Processed 300 results" but the facets within them don't add up to 300 (could be more or less).

Is it possible to see this portion of the source code, or to at least receive info. about how the Progress Bars do their work?

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM

5 Facets on the same page? oh my. In short - not supported. Mainly because javascript functions have references by name (which is the same) rather than by WP ID. If I'm to guess, there might be way to customize facets .js file.

However, I'm not clear of reasons to have multiple Search Facets WP on the same page. Please elaborate.

Leonid

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Ahh, interesting! Thanks, that could explain a lot.

We used separate WPs so we could categorize the XML Columns into sections... and make them "Accordion" style expandable/collapsible blocks.  It looks great (and mostly works)... but I understand why the javascript could have naming conflicts.

If I place all of the facet columns XML into one WebPart, not only is it very large (down the page) but the facet info. runs together (making it unclear for our users)... but it does pull more results [counts are much higher].

Does anyone have a solution to group the Facet Columns and/or is there a way to place the info. in an Accordion control (separate expandable sections)?  I would like to know more about the facets .js file.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Use for accordion stuff, works fine :) http://bassistance.de/jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-accordion/

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM

appieschot, jQuery is excellent, but in this instance, the challenge is: How do we break up the facet XML "Column" tags into groupings, without multiple WebParts?

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Does anyone have a solution to group the Facet Columns? Meaning; is there a way to display the info. in separate sections, since multiple facet WPs isn't supported?

I looked through the SearchFacets.js file, but I didn't find much code that covers the actual facets (primarily just the Search Hints, which we don't use).  Any ideas on how we can tailor this to support multiple WPs -- or slice up the facet columns XML for better presentation?

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM

If you have snapshots or wireframe of what you want, you can send them to xsearch@microsoft.com. Also, you can suggest this functionality as a feature in Issues.

Leonid