Howto use Faceted Search for People Search

May 6, 2009 at 11:23 AM
In this post, http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2008/01/30/open-source-faceted-search-for-moss-2007-and-microsoft-search-server-2008-part-1-of-2.aspx, there's an image of Faceted Search in the peopleresults.aspx page.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Coordinator
May 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM
It is OOB Faceted Search with people search specific columns, complemented by custom XSLT in the People Search Core Results web part.
May 7, 2009 at 7:25 AM
Hi Leonidly,

Thnx for a quick reply.

I'd already installed 3.0 beta and it works fine for regular search. I added the different search web parts to peopleresults.aspx and edited the Facet Column settings to include:

<Column Name="FirstName" OrderBy="FirstName" TotalResults="5" DisplayName="First Name"/>
    <Column Name="LastName" OrderBy="LastName" TotalResults="5"  DisplayName="Last Name"/>
    <Column Name="OfficeNumber" OrderBy="OfficeNumber" TotalResults="5"  DisplayName="Office"/>
    <Column Name="JobTitle" OrderBy="JobTitle" TotalResults="5"  DisplayName="Job Title"/>
    <Column Name="Department" OrderBy="Department" TotalResults="5" />

I checked the column names in the Central Administration/SSP/Search Settings/Metadata Property Settings. But I don't get any facets for people search results. That's why I was wondering if there's something I'm missing.

I know the layout can be changed with XSLT, but right now I need the facets to work.

Best regards,
Peter
Coordinator
May 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Does you farm have User Profiles populated? Were User Profiles crawled? Can you confirm that in the Crawl Log?
May 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM
Hi Leonidly,
As it turns out everything was working, but the attribute OrderBy="FirstName" should have been OrderBy="Name" (for all the facets) instead. Now all facets are displayed and it's working great.
However, it leaves me with a feeling that there might be a bug that causes no facets to be displayed if there's an error in the OrderBy="" attribute. Rather than not displaying any facets some error message should have been displayed (or the red exclamation mark).
Regards,
Peter

Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:25 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Howto use Faceted Search for People Search [FacetedSearch:55477]

Hi Leonidly,

Thnx for a quick reply.

I'd already installed 3.0 beta and it works fine for regular search. I added the different search web parts to peopleresults.aspx and edited the Facet Column settings to include:

<Column Name="FirstName" OrderBy="FirstName" TotalResults="5" DisplayName="First Name"/>
<Column Name="LastName" OrderBy="LastName" TotalResults="5" DisplayName="Last Name"/>
<Column Name="OfficeNumber" OrderBy="OfficeNumber" TotalResults="5" DisplayName="Office"/>
<Column Name="JobTitle" OrderBy="JobTitle" TotalResults="5" DisplayName="Job Title"/>
<Column Name="Department" OrderBy="Department" TotalResults="5" />

I checked the column names in the Central Administration/SSP/Search Settings/Metadata Property Settings. But I don't get any facets for people search results. That's why I was wondering if there's something I'm missing.

I know the layout can be changed with XSLT, but right now I need the facets to work.

Best regards,
Peter