Using NullBackingStore instead of caching database

May 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM

The Faceted Search Setup Guide has instructions to set up the caching application block with a database backing store. As the documentation of the Enterprise Library explains, the backing store duplicates the in-memory cache data and the only time data is loaded from the backing store into the in-memory cache is when the cache manager is created. This means that a backing store is only useful if the cache must be persistent, i.e. survive an application restart. From my understanding of how the Faceted Search works, this is clearly not required.

I disabled the database backing store by removing the <dataConfiguration> and <connectionStrings> elements from web.config and replacing the backingstores definition with the following:

<add type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.BackingStoreImplementations.NullBackingStore, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a646907c4a695009" name="Data Cache Storage" />

This seems to work correctly. Since using the NullBackingStore greatly simplifies the setup of Faceted Search (no database creation required), I was wondering if there is any drawback in using this approach?

Coordinator
May 23, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Will give it a try. Thanks for the post!