Search Faceted - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Edited Nov 18, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Hi there, I'm trying to add Search Faceted web part to a search center site, when I choose and add the Search Faceted web part, it pops up a alert form. (Here is not permised to uploading the picture)

Unable to add selected web part(s).

Search  Facets: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyImpl, Faceted Search Policy]) failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Strategy type ConfiguredObjectStrategy, index 2)

The authentication mode of my site is Forms not Windows (I've deployed appliction suit successful on Windows authentication mode)

Any advice?

Thank you all for your precious time.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Please send snapshots and Event log errors to xsearch@microsoft.com. Please describe your farm topology and OS you are running.

Leonid

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I have the same message when I want use the webpart. I am running on a windows 2008 R2 64bit machine.
I have windows authentication and a fresh installation on this machine. It's a single server farm (even the database is on this machine because the machine will be used for demonstration and testing for around 10 people)

I have installed faceted search on 2003 / 2003 r2 / 2008 machines before but I have never encountered this issue. I am glad I am not the ony one ;-)

Greetings,
Victor

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I have it fixed now :-)

What was missing (The installer didn't do that, so that is a bug somewhere, please test it again!!)
1. Install the enterprise library 4.1, from the instalaltion directory I used the gacutil to install the nessecery dll files regarding to
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.PolicyInjection.Configuration.PolicyInjectionSettings
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Configuration.ExceptionHandlingSettings
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Configuration.DatabaseSettings
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Instrumentation.Configuration.InstrumentationConfigurationSection
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Configuration.CacheManagerSettings
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ConfigurationSourceSection

2. I manually added the lines in the web.config from the setup guide.

3. Performed a IISreset and from then I could install the webpart and it works now! :-))

Greetings,
Victor

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM

HI

I have exactly the same symptom - what I don't understand in your solution is that you are referring to version 4.1 but the setup guide is referring to version 3.1.0.0 - I think I have correctly installed the DLL but it doesn't help. Any idea ?

Christophe